Foam Roller Pectoral Stretch
- Lay on foam roller with entire trunk supported.
- Bend knees so that feet are flat on floor.
- Perform a posterior pelvic tilt so that you remove the natural curve of the low back.
- Now perform slight chin tuck to bring neck toward foam roller. The idea is to get as much of your spine to touch the foam roller while not creating any pain. DO NOT OVERSTRETCH.
- While maintaining correct spinal position, slowly raise arms to the side until you feel a stretch in your chest muscles.
- Hold this position for _______ seconds/minutes.
- Advanced movement: Perform “snow angel” maneuver with arms while attempting to keep backs of hands on floor while not allowing low back to arch/ lose contact with foam roller. Do not stretch into pain.
Dynamic Isometric Shoulder Erot
- Stand with RIGHT/LEFT side closest to the door, holding theraband in RIGHT/LEFT hand.
- Gently squeeze shoulder blades down and back.
- Place small towel roll between working arm and ribcage. Keeping elbow at 90 degrees and arm slightly away from your side, side step away from the door without allowing your arm to change positions.
- Then step back to start position.
- Stand in stride stance with LEFT/RIGHT foot forward.
- Lean upper body forward (in line with back leg), keeping your back flat.
- Holding _____lb. dumbbell in each hand, draw elbows back and up towards the ceiling, squeezing your shoulder blades together.
- This exercise can also be performed for single arm (dumbbell in hand opposite of forward foot) and with forward knee resting on weight bench or chair.
Bent Over Shoulder Lateral Raise
- Stand sideways to door or wall where theraband or sportcord is anchored.
- Assume essentially a golf stance with shoulders slightly wider than shoulders and hips flexed somewhat and slight posterior pelvic tilt.
- Maintain this exaggerated athletic stance throughout the exercise-don’t stand up tall at any point.
- Hold resistance in RIGHT LEFT hand.
- While keeping elbow nearly straight, move hand away from the wall.
- Movement starts at opposite knee and finishes at shoulder height.
- Do allow hips to sway slightly during exercise-as the arm moves, the hips follow.
Doorway Lats Rhomboid Stretch
- Hook _____ hand on the far side of a door jamb at waist level.
- The thumb on this hand points down.
- Use the opposite hand to stabilize just above the lower hand as shown.
- Lean backwards (almost as if you’re sitting down) and rotate your body to the _____.
- Stretch should be felt along your ribcage and inside of the shoulder blade.
Phone: (919) 612-1673
Address: 2533 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Raleigh, NC 27604
* located within PRIME Personal Training and Performance Center